What Minimalism Means to Me

   A lot of times people think that being a minimalist means to get rid of everything including the things that bring you joy. It means living in a white, cold, stark house. But that's not true in the slightest! I consider myself a minimalist because everything I own brings me joy and I've gotten rid of everything that doesn't add value to my life.
   Now if someone saw my closet they might think, "She isn't a minimalist, she has way more then 30 pieces in her wardrobe." Yes, I don't have a typical capsule wardrobe, I once made one and I hated it because it limited me. But that's where a lot of people go wrong, they assume that you have to get rid of everything including the stuff that you love.
   One thing that doesn't bring me joy is books. I own one book that I would read again but besides that, I don't have any books nor do I want to buy any. I know some of my siblings are reading this and thinking that they couldn't survive on one book, but that's okay!
   Often people get intimidated by the word "minimalism" and think it will limit them. But if anything minimalism has opened me up to more! I have room for the things I love and use. I have more clothes than the average minimalist but you might have more books. The point is to look at what truly brings you joy and not worry if it's not what you're supposed to have.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts