String Day

Okay, I know I'm a little late. String Day was yesterday but I still wanted to write this post.
Anyways, let's start from the beginning. 
 About 10 years ago when I was five my brother, Joe, and I were playing and decided to make a holiday. We asked Momma for decorations so she let us play with some old ribbon. So we hung up the ribbon and that's where the name was born, String Day.

Over the years we made different traditions such as making popsicles, adding the noon family (a pig family), and making cowboy\Noon songs. Those included- You Just Got to be a Cowboy When You're Scared, I Will Polish My Gun, How the Garden Glows, Georgian Noon, Rocking in the Noon Saddle, Cowboy Country, and there might be more I don't remember. 

Another tradition that we came up with later was gathering all the money we had and buying candy at the market. It was a very fun and delicious tradition and ended up replacing the popsicles.

We've been celebrating this holiday for years and this year I was thinking what are we actually celebrating? Even I now agree that pigs and cowboys aren't something to make a whole holiday about. But when I think about Srting Day now I think about being five and making a mess in the kitchen when we made popsicles, I think of spending hours writing songs that I still remember, I think of the memorize that we made as all of us children put all our money together and walked to the market to get a few pieces of candy. I guess what I'm saying is that String Day isn't about the pigs and cowboy songs, it's about celebrating childhood and the magic of that time in all of our lives. It's the one day a year that you can re-visit your childhood and be a kid again.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts